MMS Workboats, a division of MMS Ship Repair & Dry Dock Co Ltd. (MMS), has today announced the launch of the Envirocat All-Electric Eco 8.5, a cutting-edge plastic and debris collection vessel.
Designed to make waterways cleaner and support sustainable industries such as fish farming and aquaculture, the 8.5 metre vessel can be operated by a single user, enabling efficient, cost effective and environmentally friendly clearance of plastic and flotsam from the water’s surface.
The vessel, developed in conjunction with Naval Architecture Firm Rockabill Marine Design, is the brainchild of Rob Langton, Managing Director at MMS, in response to the increasing need for plastic removal from waterways worldwide.
Recent studies found 5000 pieces of plastic and 150 plastic bottles for each mile of UK beaches, with most of this waste entering seas and oceans through rivers and in-land waterways. According to the United Nations Environment Programme report in 2021, there is an estimated 75-199 million tons of plastic in the world’s oceans. Predictions show the amount of plastic waste entering aquatic ecosystems could more than double from an estimated 19-23 million tons per year in 2016 to around 53 million tons per year by 2030.
Rob Langton, said, “The Envirocat All-Electric Eco 8.5 is the latest version of our popular Envirocat pollution control range, and marks a significant milestone in our commitment to environmental sustainability and innovation. We are proud to introduce a zero-emission vessel that not only helps clean our waterways but also supports the growth of eco-conscious industries like aquaculture, without a hefty price tag. This launch underscores our dedication to providing efficient, reliable, and eco-friendly solutions to our customers.”
Key Features of the Envirocat All-Electric Eco 8.5:
• Zero Emissions: Powered by two electric outboards, the vessel produces zero emissions, contributing to a cleaner and greener environment.
• Efficient Plastic Collection: Designed to efficiently collect floating plastic and debris from the water’s surface, the vessel can hold up 3m³ of waste, reducing marine pollution.
• Versatile Applications: This versatile vessel is ideal for a wide range of applications, including clearing harbours, ports, marinas, lakes, and canals, as well as supporting fish farming and aquaculture operations as a general workboat.
• Low Operating Costs: Alongside the ability to easily support an 8-hour working day, the operational cost of the Envirocat All-Electric Eco 8.5 is impressively low, at just £2 per hour (based on 2023 UK electric costs of 34p per kWh).
• User-Friendly Design: The vessel features a user-friendly wheelhouse with tinted bonded windows, offering excellent visibility. Digital and colour indicators provide essential information such as RPM, power consumption, distance, and speed.
Built to the highest British shipbuilding standards, the catamarans are constructed with marine-grade aluminium, ensuring both durability and longevity while keeping maintenance costs to a minimum.
Those interested in the Envirocat All-Electric Eco 8.5 are invited to arrange a visit to MMS’ shipyard in Hull for trials using MMS’ demonstration vessel. Travel expenses will be paid, and lunch will be provided, for serious enquiries. For more information and to arrange, contact: email@example.com
For more information about the Envirocat All-Electric Eco 8.5, please visit www.mms-shiprepair.co.uk/envirocat